A rustic and authentic Indian chicken curry one-pot packed with tonnes of hot Asian spices and fragrant coriander
- Roughly chop the onion, transfer to a small food processor, and add 3 tablespoons of water – process to a slack paste.
- You could use a stick blender for this or coarsely grate the onion into a bowl – there’s no need to add any water if you are grating the onion.
- Tip into a small bowl and leave on one side.
- Put the chopped garlic and ginger into the same food processor and add 4 tbsp water – process until smooth and spoon into another small bowl.
- Alternatively, crush the garlic to a paste with a knife or garlic press and finely grate the ginger.
- Heat the oil in a wok or sturdy pan set over a medium heat.
- Combine the cumin and fennel seeds with the cinnamon and chilli flakes and add to the pan in one go.
- Swirl everything around for about 30 secs until the spices release a fragrant aroma.
- Add the onion paste – it will splutter in the beginning.
- Fry until the water evaporates and the onions turn a lovely dark golden – this should take about 7-8 mins.
- Add the garlic and ginger paste and cook for another 2 mins – stirring all the time.
- Stir in the garam masala, turmeric, and sugar and continue cooking for 20 secs before tipping in the tomatoes.
- Continue cooking on a medium heat for about 10 mins without a lid until the tomatoes reduce and darken.
- Cut the chicken thighs into 3cm chunks and add to the pan once the tomatoes have thickened to a paste.
- Cook for 5 mins to coat the chicken in the masala and seal in the juices, and then pour over the hot chicken stock.
- Simmer for 8-10 mins without a lid until the chicken is tender and the masala lightly thickened, add more water if required
- Sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve with Indian flatbreads or fluffy basmati rice and a pot of yogurt on the side.
Chicken Curry ingredients
- 8 chicken thighs, skinned, boneless(about 800g)
- 1 large onion
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 5cm cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 250ml hot chicken stock
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
Check out our list of Locally Farmed Poultry we have available.