Buffalo chicken burger
This buffalo chicken burger recipe gives a little spice to a classic dish.
- To make the buffalo sauce, mix together all the ingredients, except for the buttermilk, in a saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer and stir well
- Allow to cool completely and add the buttermilk. Cover and leave in the fridge until ready to serve.
- To make the slaw, mix together all the ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Cover and leave in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
- To make the chicken, mix together the breadcrumbs, coriander and fennel seeds in a bowl.
- Put the flour and the beaten egg in separate bowls.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in the flour and shake off the excess.
- Dip the chicken in the egg and then cover with the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken until golden-brown on both sides.
- Transfer to a baking tray and bake in the oven for 8–10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and there are no traces of pink.
- To serve, spoon a generous helping of the slaw onto the bottom halves of the toasted buns.
- Spread a spoonful of the buffalo dressing over the cut sides of the top halves.
- Put the chicken on top of the slaw and add the top bun.
Buffalo chicken burger ingredients
- For the buffalo dressing
- 30g/1oz butter
- 4 tbsp chilli sauce
- 1½ tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- pinch each of celery salt, cayenne pepper and black pepper
- ½ tbsp barbecue sauce
- 2 drops smoke oil (optional)
- 50ml/2fl oz buttermilk
For the slaw
- ½ small red cabbage, shredded or grated
- ½ carrot, grated
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1–2 heaped tbsp mayonnaise
For the chicken
- 50g/1¾oz panko breadcrumbs
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- 1½ tsp ground fennel seeds
- 50g/1¾oz plain flour
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- 2 chicken breasts (approximately 175g/6oz), butterflied
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 pretzel buns, or similar, cut in half and toasted, to serve
Check out our list of Local Poultry we have available.