Learn how to make succulent beef burgers with just four ingredients. An easy recipe for perfect homemade patties.
- Tip the beef into a bowl with the onion and egg, then mix.
- Divide the mixture into four. Lightly wet your hands.
- Carefully roll the mixture into balls, each about the size of a tennis ball.
- Set in the palm of your hand and gently squeeze down to flatten into patties about 3cm thick.
- Make sure all the burgers are the same thickness so that they will cook evenly. Put on a plate, cover with cling film and leave in the fridge to firm up for at least 30 mins.
- Heat the barbecue to medium hot (there will be white ash over the red hot coals – about 40 mins after lighting).
- Lightly brush 1 side of each burger with oil.
- Place the burgers, oil-side down, on the barbecue.
- Cook for 5 mins until the meat is lightly charred.
- Don’t move them around or they may stick. Oil the other side, then turn over using tongs.
- Don’t press down on the meat, as that will squeeze out the juices.
- Cook for 5 mins more for medium.
- If you like your burgers pink in the middle, cook 1 min less each side. For well done, cook 1 min more.
- Take the burgers off the barbecue. Leave to rest on a plate so that all the juices can settle inside.
- Slice each bun in half. Place, cut-side down, on the barbecue rack and toast for 1 min until they are lightly charred.
- Place a burger inside each bun, then top with your choice of accompaniment.
Beef burger ingredients
- 500g good-quality beef mince
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 burger buns
- 1 small onion peeled and diced
- All or any of the following to serve: sliced tomato, beetroot, horseradish sauce, mayonnaise, ketchup, handful iceberg lettuce, rocket, watercress
Check out our list of 21 day matured Beef we have available.