This is a great lasagne recipe for the Italian classic, with home made bechamel sauce. It might take longer than some recipes, but it’s worth the wait!
- Infuse the milk to make the béchamel sauce.
- Combine the 1 ½ litres milk, 1 thickly sliced onion, 3 bay leaves and 3 cloves into a large saucepan and bring very gently just up to the boil.
- Turn off the heat and set aside for 1 hr to infuse.
- For the meat sauce, combine the 3 tbsp oil, 2 finely chopped celery sticks, 1 finely chopped onion, 1 finely chopped carrot, 3 crushed garlic cloves and 140g cubed pancetta in
another large saucepan
- Gently cook together until all the vegetables are soft but not coloured.
- Tip in 500g pork mince and 500g beef mince, 200ml milk and 2 cans of chopped tomatoes.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir together and break up and mash the lumps of mince against the sides of the pan.
- When the mince is mostly broken down, stir in 2 bay leaves, 1 rosemary sprig, 2 thyme sprigs, 2 tsp dried oregano, 2 beef stock cubes and 500ml red wine, bring to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 1 hr, stirring occasionally to stop the bottom from burning.
- Uncover and gently simmer for another 30 mins-1 hr until the meat is tender and sauce, taste and season.
- To finish the béchamel sauce, strain the milk through a fine sieve into one or two jugs.
- Melt 100g butter in the same pan then, using a wooden spoon, mix in 100g plain flour and cook for 2 mins.
- Stir in the strained milk, a little at a time – the mix will thicken at first to a doughy paste, but keep going, adding milk gradually to avoid lumps.
- When all the milk is in, bring to a gentle simmer, stirring constantly (if you have lumps, give it a quick whisk). Gently bubble for a few mins until thickened.
- Season with salt, pepper and a good grating of nutmeg.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Spread a spoonful of the meat sauce over the base of a roughly 3.5 litre baking dish.
- Cover with a single layer of dried pasta sheets, snapping them to fit if needed, then top with a quarter of the béchamel
- Spoon over a third of the meat sauce and scatter over a little of the finely grated parmesan.
- Repeat the layers – pasta, béchamel, meat and parmesan – two more times to use all the meat sauce
- Add a final layer of pasta, the last of the béchamel and remaining parmesan.
- Sit the dish on a baking tray to catch spills and bake for 1 hr until bubbling, browned and crisp on top.
Ingredients for lasagne Recipe
For the meat Sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot,(about 100g/4oz) finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 140g pack cubetti di pancetta
- 500g pack beef,mince (we used 10% fat)
- 500g pack pork mince
- 200ml milk
- 400g cans chopped tomatoes x 2
- Bay leaves x 2
- Thyme & 2 rosemary sprigs x 2
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 500ml red wine
For the lasagne
- 400g dried pasta sheets
- 50g parmesan, finely grated
For the white sauce (béchamel)
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cloves
- 100g butter
- 100g plain flour
- good grating of nutmeg
Check out our list of 21 day matured beef we have available.