Roast Spiced Duck with Plums
If you’re looking for an alternative Sunday roast, try this roast spiced duck served with plums. It’s the perfect balance of savoury, sweet and sour.
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 4.
- Toast the star anise and coriander seeds in a dry pan until aromatic.
- Tip the toasted spices into a spice grinder with 2 tsp sea salt and grind into a fine powder (or crush using a pestle and mortar).
- Put the spice salt in a bowl, add the sugar, mix well and set aside.
- Lightly score the skin of the duck in a criss-cross pattern and heat the oil in a large casserole.
- Using a pair of tongs to turn it, brown the duck well on all sides, pour off the excess fat, then sit the duck breast-side up and season all over with the sugar and spice mix.
- Pack the plums around the outside, then scatter over the bay and pour over the vinegar and stock.
- Roast in the oven for 2 hrs or until the duck is golden and the plums have broken down.
- Turn the oven right up for 10 more mins to crisp up the skin.
- Take the duck out of the pan to rest for 10 mins and spoon the excess fat off the plums.
- Carve the duck and serve with a good spoonful of plums.
Roast Spiced Duck with Plums ingredients
- 2½ kg whole duck
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- Star anise
- 4 tbsp muscovado sugar
- 6 plums, halved and stoned
- 3 bay leaves
- 75ml red wine vinegar
- 300ml chicken stock
Check out our list of Locally Farmed Poultry we have available.