Beef casserole is traditional braised beef stew with thick, rich gravy – an ideal recipe for cheap cuts as slow-cooking guarantees a tender dish.
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Put the kettle on.
- Put the celery, onion, carrots, bay and whole thyme sprig in a flameproof casserole dish with 1 tbsp oil and the butter.
- Soften for 10 mins, then stir in the flour until it doesn’t look dusty anymore, followed by the tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock cubes.
- Gradually stir in 600ml hot water, then tip in the beef and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cover and put in the oven for 2hrs 30 mins, then uncover and cook for 30mins – 1hr more until the meat is really tender and the sauce is thickened.
- Garnish with the remaining thyme leaves.
Beef Casserole ingredients
- 2 celery sticks, thickly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 really big carrots, halved lengthways then very chunkily sliced
- 5 bay leaves
- 2 thyme sprigs, 1 whole and 1 leaves picked
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 beef stock cubes, crumbled
- 850g stewing beef (featherblade or brisket works nicely), cut into nice large chunks
Check out our list of 21 day Matured Beef we have available.